The Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) Tuesday informed that rain-thunderstorms with few moderate/heavy falls are expected in the Karachi division from August 6 to August 9.
In its monsoon weather outlook, the Met Office said that monsoon currents of moderate intensity are likely to enter eastern Sindh on the night of August 4 and the morning of August 5.
It further added that under the influence of this weather system, rain-thunderstorms with a few moderate/heavy falls are expected from August 5 to August 9 in:
- TM Khan
- Tando Allayar
- Shaheed Benazirabad
The advisory further mentioned that heavy falls may generate water-logging in low-lying areas of Karachi, Badin, Thatta, Sujawal, Tando Muhammad Khan, Tando Allayar, and Dadu Jamshoro, and Kambar Shahdadkot districts during the forecast period.
It further added directed all relevant authorities and stakeholders to take all necessary mitigation measures including:
- Ensure early warning mechanism for evacuation of vulnerable populations in areas/districts in case of flash flooding
- Ensure availability of dewatering machines and the staff during rainfall
- Improve coordination with emergency services, also with various line departments
- Ensure provision of water and necessary emergency medicines to the general public during emergency
- Stockpile necessary relief/medicine stores especially in affected areas
- Keeping the machinery on standby for plugging in breeches to drainage network/canals
- Emergency services and ambulances with trained paramedics to remain available round the clock.